David Alaniz Photography

Natures turn…….

Fading Light

Made a quick trip to High Island Smith Oaks Rookery last Thursday evening.  Just the way I like it with only a few people taking pictures.  With the sun fading behind the tree line most had already left for the day.  There was only one other photographer (Barbara) that was willing to wait it out and catch the last light.  It was pretty neat as the BIF’s activity picked up greatly.  They were coming from all directions to settle for the night.  I was never short of a subject and able to try many different camera settings.  Love to learn.

Nikon D4, 500mm, 1/8000, f/4, ISO 1000, spot metering

ACT_7193web

8 responses to “Fading Light

1. hilldwellertom May 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Beautiful shot, so elegant. I love it when everyone else leaves, although I’m always confused as to why they won’t just wait around!

• dda53 May 25, 2014 at 4:20 pm

It does kind of make me wonder as well Tom. Early morning or late evening the light can add a pleasant twist to your photo. Thanks for your comment.

2. Lyle Krahn May 25, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Somehow everything looks better to me when the crowds leave and it’s just me and the wildlife.

3. Doug Haass May 25, 2014 at 9:13 pm

It’s all about the light. Apparently, their photography is more about the time. Nice shot David. I bet you had to take more than one to get rid of the blinkies.

• dda53 May 26, 2014 at 11:03 am

Doug, the light was changing fast. It offered me a good chance to try a number of different combinations. Every time I changed modes I had to retest for the “blinkies”. The only thing I didn’t try was Auto ISO, maybe next time. It was good practice to constantly change settings. I enjoyed the challenge.

4. Tim Timmis May 28, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Very nice shot David. Love the light. So that’s what it looks like in the evening. I’ve only been there at sunset a couple of times. It’s fun to see all of the birds coming in to roost.

• dda53 May 29, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Late evening sun is good. As the shadow starts rising on the bank it gets better. Only problem, it doesn’t last long enough. I don’t use spot metering that much but this one worked out good. With the spot meter on the bird it helped to darken the background along with a touch of Nik. Not sure when they will lock the gate but I would like to return late one weekday.