David Alaniz Photography

Natures turn…….

In Search Of

This past Saturday, I made an early morning trip to Brazos Bend State Park where I met up with fellow photographer Doug Haass.  We were looking for the baby alligators that hadn’t been seen for a couple of days.  After searching for awhile Doug spotted one tucked into some plant growth.  There were at least two or three.  One came out for a quick look but didn’t stay long before disappearing.  I think they are on their own.  Mama is no where to be found.

The first picture is Doug walking the trail.  That’s a heavy load but it’s the tools of the trade.  (Notice how nice that Canon looks when it’s taken by a Nikon – ;-).  The second is the baby alligator coming out for a quick peak.  The next two ( Red-eared Slider Turtle and Dragon Fly) were taken with a 2.0 teleconverter.  Still working with that set up under different conditions.

Nikon D4, 500mm, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 500, SB900 with Better Beamer

BBSP_20130601_0034web

Nikon D4, 500mm, f/4.0, 1/250, ISO 800, SB900 with Better Beamer

BBSP_20130601_0019web

Nikon D4, 500mm + 2.0tc, f/8.0, 1/800, ISO 1250

BBSP_20130601_0048web

Nikon D4, 500mm + 2.0tc, f/8.0, 1/800, ISO 800, EV -0.33, SB900 with Better Beamer

BBSP_20130601_0115web

10 responses to “In Search Of

1. theandreweverett June 2, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Awesome captures! I really like the turtle that appears to be waving.

2. naturelovingrn June 2, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I’m sure glad that I don’t have to carry that camera but you sure gorgeous photos and I would love to take such great photos.

• dda53 June 2, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your viewing and comment. The equipment is heavy if walking a long distance. I looked through your blog and you have posted great photos of your travels. I would love to visit those locations one day.

3. Doug Haass June 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm

David, I had a good time shooting with you. Thanks for letting me tag along. Nice shot of my setup. I knew it was heavy for some reason. I guess I’m prepared for whatever shows up at the park.

Love all your shots here. You got the only head tilt that little guy gave us on his way to hiding out. All I got from him was a backside shot. Really nice job on the Four-spotted Pennant Dragonfly. Nice position on it.

• dda53 June 3, 2013 at 5:51 pm

The pleasure is mine and it’s always good shooting with you Doug. I liked the small back pack you had so I showed it to my wife…hint hint.

• Doug Haass June 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Man, I have so many backpacks it’s not funny. This one seems to work really well for BBSP. It allows me to keep a full backup camera with lens mounted, tele-converters, extension tubes, flash w/Better Beamer, batteries, extra CF cards, camera battery, microfiber cloth and Giotto Rocket blower. I actually don’t even feel it on my back, as far as weight.

4. lylekrahn June 3, 2013 at 11:27 am

I like the turtle taking a step to nowhere! Great photos all around.

5. dda53 June 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Lyle, it was like he was trying to swim but going no where. So far he has out smarted the gators.