David Alaniz Photography

Natures turn…….

Egret – Is It A Miss

I was watching two Egrets that were close.  When this one shook and fluffed his feathers I knew or hoped it was going to take off.  I quickly but not fast enough tried to get ready for the action.  Well I missed, as I reviewed the image I thought about cropping for a different appeal.  I liked what would have been otherwise deleted.

I entered this one in a photo contest and was told by one judge he really liked the shot.  But, the other judges didn’t because it didn’t show the bird.  Oh well, I’ll keep it.

Nikon D300s, Nikon 500mm @ f/4, 1/5000, EV -0.67, ISO 200

Bolivar-Flats_20111111_0167web1

9 responses to “Egret – Is It A Miss

1. Vicki January 17, 2013 at 6:21 pm

true action photo. I like it very much.

2. Tim Timmis January 17, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Been there, done that. I’ve got a few shots like that. I like it. Nice water action and bird toes. Works for me.

• dda53 January 18, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thanks Tim, hope I can get back to Bolivar now that work is starting ease up a little. During all the down time I thought I would send in my camera and lens for some PM work. Now I have to wait….

3. Rory Alexander Photography February 11, 2013 at 1:44 am

I’ll admit I’m one that likes to have the whole subject in the photo but there is a certain something about this photo; worth keeping!

4. Avinash Hindupur March 1, 2013 at 8:23 am

I liked this picture so much that If I were asked to judge, I would create a separate award for “Best Miss” just to give it to this!

5. dda53 March 2, 2013 at 7:39 pm

You would make a good judge ;-). Thanks!

6. masterbias March 23, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Screw the other judges. This is cool.